• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

All in One Systems - What Category?

benchharp

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Probably really obvious but can't find anything on the topic.

I have a Klarstein Brauheld 15l Mash Kettle - I've not been able to find any pre made equipment profiles.

Just lately the Mash In water is not even enough to cover the grains - so i'm guessing my set up is wrong.

I'm going to work through the tutorials - but what is the equipment type for an All-In-One System? (Klarstein, Brewdevil etc)

Whats the closest pre set equipment to give me a foundation? I would say All Grain but am wondering whether they could be considered BIAB (Brew in a Bag Basket)

And what Mash style would you generally use for these?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Ben

Your equipment profile defines a process more than it does specific equipment.  People like to use premade profiles as a jumping off point because it is slightly easier than developing one from scratch. 

There is a good YouTube vid which I have linked here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwEbjOt8OR8

Basically, your critical factors are somewhat reduced when using an All-In-One (AIO) brewing system since you don't really have to worry too much about strike temperatures and holding mash temperature, nor dead space volume as everything goes straight into the boil..  Beyond that, the critical factors are the mash tun volume, recoverable deadspace, boil off rate, batch size, and loss to trub and chiller.  Some of these are pretty easy to figure out with reasonable accuracy from simple testing beforehand.  Taking a stab at the brewhouse efficiency is important, but that is a number that you can only really nail down once you have brewed and input the brew day data into the 'session' tab of the software to have the program calculate your actual values vs your estimated ones.  I would suggest starting at around 70% or 75% depending upon how confident you feel.

Making the software accurately reflect your actual process usually takes a few brews, calculations, and equipment profile adjustments, even when someone has given you their profile for the same equipment. 

In addition to the video posted above, I have a series in the equipment topic on making a profile for the Anvil Foundry which follows the basic set up and comparison of the estimates to the first brew.

If you get stuck working through the numbers, post your information and where you are stuck.  There will be plenty of people here who will be glad to walk you through it.

Measure the amount of water it tales to reach the bottom of the malt pipe. Enter this volume as recoverable mash dead space in your equipment profile. This volume will be used only to calculate strike water temperature and mash thickness, and will not affect the total water need. I am assuming that you have an equipment profile that matches your system.

Use the Youtube video Oginme provided and create your own profile. It's the only way help make sure your estimated volumes, gravities, etc are close to your actual results. Guess at it or simply accept one of the provided profiles and you will likely have nothing but frustrating brew days.

As for a BIAB mash profile here is another tutorial... https://youtu.be/VKiEjhxo2oo

But how to make it calculate water (mashing for the grain/water ratio I want and sparging) for All-in-One system?  It's not hard, but would be fine if it's done automatically.

If you have your equipment profile correctly entered, measuring at least initial values for volume left in the AIO, and boil off rate, the program will be able to back calculate from your desired batch size the amount of water needed for brewing. 

You can then create or modify a mash profile to tell the software how you want to perform the mash:  How much water up front proportioned to the amount of grain, how you are going to sparge, or even if you are doing a no-sparge mash.  The software has settings for grain absorption of water and will proportion the water based upon how you want for each recipe you use this mash profile.

Back