• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Evaporation rate

Roamer321

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am going to start brewing one gallon batch. I have always brewed 5 gallon. So I boiled 1.5 gallons(192oz) of water  for 1 hour to test the evaporation rate. I ended up with 106oz a little over 3 quarts. How much should I start with? Is there a way to calculate this in Beersmith?

BeerSmith will calculate the boil volume for you when you input the information you just obtained into an equipment profile specifically for the small volume you are planning on brewing.  If this is the same equipment your normally use, you can make a copy of your existing profile and then adjust the numbers for the target volume and boil off rate to match your anticipated batch size.  This should get you close on your first try and you can made further adjustments for future batches of this size.

I am looking at the equipment profile and do not see where I can enter the initial volume and the final after my test boil. Can you direct me to that please?

In the equipment profile, you enter in the amount of volume which was evaporated.  I have attached a screen snap of one of my profiles.  Note that I have set for a 90 minute boil, but I have entered in the amount of volume lost in one hour and clicked on the 'use boil off as an hourly rate' so that the program uses my boil off figure and will scale that to match my actual boil time.  If this were unchecked, then the program would scale down if I made a change to a 60 minute boil. 

See the part outlined in red.

Attachments

• equipment profile boil off rate.jpg
    equipment profile boil off rate.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 14
Longer boiling has been shown to aid in HMM degradation and DMS evaporation, however, if the HMM level in the malt is high (3-8 μg DMS equivalents per gram of malt) and more than 50 mcg DMS HMM equivalents per liter of wort remains after boiling, then reducing whirlpool time when the wort is aged above 80 ? C can help reduce the amount of DMC in the finished beer.

Back