• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

"Mash In" not being calculated correctly.

A

atarlecky

Hi -

I have noticed that my mash water quantity is not being calculated correctly for my particular system.

I have a MLT where 1 gallon of wort sits underneath the screen. If I use the 1.25 quarts per pound of grain for 10 pounds of grain my mash in total volume should be about 12.5 quarts - which is correctly showing in the mash instructions. However, if I put 12.5 quarts of water into my MLT, a full 4 quarts will not be contact with the grain when I add it, reducing my mash thickness down to 0.85 quarts per pound.

Is there a setting to ensure that the mash-in quantity accounts for the gallon under my screenn? I have tried changing the "Lauter Tun Deadspace" to 1 gallon but this has no effect.

Thanks!

I think the explanation is as follows.  The value for dead space appears under Lautering which is in a separate box from the values for the Mash Tun and there does not appear to be an option to tell the program that these are not separate vessels but that what you (and I) have is a Mash/Lauter Tun. ???  This option needs to be added.

Has this problem been fixed in the new Beersmith coming out??

Prost.

Back