• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fresh hops - what to do?

kw642

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I came into A LOT of cascade today, but I have no immediate plans for it.  I?ve never used cones before either.  Am I best to put them in Ziploc bags snd freeze them?

Oxygen is the biggest enemy. I would vacuum seal them then freeze or keep refrigerated.

Fresh (wet) hops have a very short shelf life. If you're not going to use them within 48 to72 hours of harvest, they need to be dried. I assume you're talking about freshly picked hops. If they have already been dried, they should be vacuum sealed. For maximum shelf life, they need to be frozen as well.

I doubt that would work very well. Hops are dried quickly for good reason. You might wait for a response from someone who's tried it, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I also got some freshly picked cascades hop cones this year. I dried them for three days on a screen in a warm place out of the sun. I used some for a beer quickly then vacuum sealed the rest. they have worked out very good and people rave over my beer made with them.good luck and happy brewin

Back