• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Moving BeerSmith2 from Mac to Macbook?????

firefly765

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello, I've been trying for hours to "clone" my BeerSmith2 from my Mac Mini to a Macbook Air. I downloaded to my new laptop opened it up inserted my key (multiple times) downloaded Beersmith2 folder from my Documents folder on the old computer to a hard drive.....transferred Beersmith2 folder from the hard drive to Documents folder in the new laptop. I open Beersmith2 on the new laptop and it doesn't just automatically import all my recipes / settings/ etc...etc...I can get my cloud stuff, but that's it. I've tried all kinds if exporting etc with no luck. It doesn't seem like this should be that complicated??? right?? Can someone advise me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

One way to handle this is to simply work with the BSMX files themselves:
  https://beersmith.com/blog/2019/01/27/sharing-beer-brewing-data-using-bsmx-files-in-beersmith/

Brad

Hi Folks

I just bought a new MacBook Air and have had a similar problem.  I wanted to transfer my data from an old, very old (2009) MacBook Pro.  I downloaded Beersmith 2 and entered my key - so far so good.  I then copied the Beersmith 2 folder across but my recipes did not appear.  I took a look at the recipes.bsmx file on my old computer and found the recipe titles in there.  I then did the same on the new and could not find them.  I found that as soon as Beersmith fired up on the new machine it changed the name of my recipes.bsmx file to recipes1.bsmx and put in a new recipes file, the same as came with the program.  I tried deleting this file and renaming my file back to recipes.bsmx but as soon as I fired up Beersmith it did the same thing.  In the end, I did as Brad suggested and opened the recipes1.bsmx file from within Beersmith and copied the recipes in the the "My Recipes" tab.  That's worked.  I worry that some of my other settings may not have made it across, but so far I haven't found anything else awry.  It would certainly have save me a lot of time if Beersmith didn't overwrite the recipes.bsmx file from my copied BeerSmith folder.  Perhaps this is something the developers can take a look at.

Many thanks for the great software.

Cheers Rob

Back