Author Topic: Adding BREWERS CRYSTALS to a BeerSmith recipe  (Read 631 times)

Offline AreaMan

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Adding BREWERS CRYSTALS to a BeerSmith recipe
« on: July 20, 2020, 01:29:57 PM »
New user, struggling to add brewers crystals as a fermentable to a recipe.  For whatever reason I didn't hit my numbers and want to add to primary, but I want it to be accounted for in my recipe.  Here's a description of the exact product I'd use:

Corn Syrup Solids - 56% Maltose, 16% maltotriose, 8% dextrose, and 20% higher saccharides.
Mimics barley malt extract in fermentation profile.

Thank you
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 03:44:34 PM by AreaMan »

Offline brewfun

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • STAND BACK! I'm going to try Science!
Re: Adding BREWERS CRYSTALS to a recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 02:09:53 PM »
In the recipe, add the volume you'll need to boil to the total batch volume. Next, add the brewer's crystals to the recipe until you get the correct calculated gravity. It's then just a matter of boiling the brewer's crystals, chill and add to the batch.
Beer Appreciation is the space between pints.

Offline AreaMan

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: Adding BREWERS CRYSTALS to a recipe
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 03:09:09 PM »
Thanks, but I probably should have been more clear.  I mean how do you add them to BeerSmith as a Fermentable?  I don't see Brewers Crystals as an option.  Closest I've found is Corn Syrup.   There's nothing under "glucose" either.
Thanks!

Offline Kevin58

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • I make beer. Not a style.
Re: Adding BREWERS CRYSTALS to a BeerSmith recipe
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 07:22:40 AM »
You can add any ingredient to Beersmith yourself if they do not exist in the database already. I am not familiar with Brewers Crystals but I Googled the phrase and found one from BSG Craft which includes a spec sheet that I've attached. It contains pretty much all the information you would need to create a fermentable from scratch.

https://bsgcraft.com/resources/Product_Sheets/Brewers%20Crystals/SPEC%20Ingredion%20Brewers%20Crystals%20111217.pdf
If you?re stressing over homebrewing, you?re doing something wrong.
- Denny Conn

Offline AreaMan

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: Adding BREWERS CRYSTALS to a BeerSmith recipe
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 11:09:36 AM »
Thanks!  I figured I'd need to add its profile to BS, just didn't want to reinvent the wheel unnecessarily.

modification