• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

No chill in BeerSmith 3

AdamEld

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Apologies if this has been covered, I did a quick search but couldn't find the answer. I'm new to using BeerSmith, and am struggling to figure out how to adjust the hop schedules for the no chill method. I am aiming for an American Pale Ale style beer, previously I have had success by shifting out my additions by 20 minutes and  "cube hopping" anything that falls in beyond the 20 minute mark. For example, I have done a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone - following this recipe:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/28546/sierra-nevada-pale-ale-clone

But shifted the hop additions out by 20 and the 10 minute and zero minute additions went straight into the cube. It turned out fine by my standards :) but probably a little on the bitter side.  However, this is not very scientific and I really want to improve my brewing! So now, I am working on a recipe, and using BeerSmith 3. I know I want to cube hop, I know this will add to bitterness, but I don't know how to account for this in the software. Does anyone have a rule of thumb they use here?

Another thing I am considering is not do the "shift hops out by 20 and cube hop method" but just work out the hop additions based on the desired IBUs. Then let wort cool to 85c before decanting in the cube. Would I account for the additional IBU's from the 0 minute additions using the "hopstand/whirlpool" functionality in BeerSmith. How do you set the temperature? As obviously the temperature will fall from 100C to 85C at some rate (which I am unsure of), should I get a rough estimate of this and work out the average temperature to put in "Whirlpool Temp" box?

Sorry for all the questions, been winging my all grain brews to date (made pretty good products) but I now want to improve!

Oh and by the way, I am using a GUTEN 40L

Welcome!

BeerSmith has an option in the equipment profile which allows for the continued isomerization of hop alpha acids during an extended cooling period.  The method is not perfect, but it will give you an idea of how much additional hop bitterness you will realize following flame out. 

In your equipment profile, look at the section labeled 'hop utilization and whirlpool options'.  You will need to know approximately how much time it takes your wort to cool down to below 160F (71C) to give the program some idea of how much additional isomerization time you will realize from the hot wort.  Plug this into the 'total whirlpool time' and then click on the box to 'estimate boil hop util in whirlpool'.  This will give you a projection of the additional bitterness from your boil hops.

Another thing I picked up hanging around the Aussie Homebrew Forum is that most brewers will adjust down the hops added for bittering accordingly and then most will take any hop additions scheduled for 10 minutes or less in the boil and just throw them into the cube before adding the hot wort.  Sealing the cube will trap the aromatic compounds and you will get some bitterness as the wort cools.

Beyond this, as I have not personally (and intentionally) played around with no-chill, I would look to the Australian brewers and brewing forums for assistance.  They pioneered the current method of no-chill brewing and have many clever ways of adapting recipes to fit this method.

Back