• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Addition of liquid fermentables to secondary - effects of

MartinFa

Apprentice
Reaction score
I occasionally do brews into which I'll add juice into the secondary - e.g. 1.4 litres of Rhubarb juice (to a 22 litre batch) that I prepared earlier from fresh rhubarb. There are a number of impacts of doing this on the BS3 software...

1) The software is unable (I believe) to make allowance for the additional volume of water. To make up for this, I have to remember to reduce my sparge water by the same amount as the juice I'm adding. I have no means of adjusting the sparge water I actually want to use. I even created a water profile for the juice so I can add that volume of water, but it seems not to be taken into account by BS3.

2) Because the volume into the boil is then less than BS3 calculates, all the calculated figures (efficiency, OG, volumes, ABV) are off and I'm back to manually calculating these.

I guess it's going to be a challenge to incorporate some of these things?

Start by changing your equipment profile. Adjust the top up water by the same volume you'll add later. That'll put the volume and efficiency calculations back in order. Your brewhouse efficiency will need to be adjusted according to the top up volume as it relates to its percentage of overall batch volume.

The juice contribution to gravity will be reflected in the original gravity estimate.

Jees - I missed your reply until now. Thanks.

Good idea to adjust or create new equipment profile for sparge water calcs.

I added the rhubarb juice into the secondary ferment. For the ABV calc, I used...

New %ABV=((O x s) + (A x p)) /  (O + A) where...
O=orig vol
A=vol of liquid being added
s=%ABV of original (5.7%)
p=%ABV of liquid being added (0%).

%ABV before dilution with rhubarb juice was 5.7%

New %ABV = ((20 x 5.7) + (2 x 0)) / (20 + 2) = 5.2% at SG 1.010.

My earlier estimates of batch vol & juice vol were slightly out.

Back