Author Topic: water additions  (Read 889 times)

Offline wellertheseller

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • I'm from Texas and I love beer!
water additions
« on: June 22, 2020, 11:09:52 AM »
Hi, I downloaded a current copy of the water report from my grocer where i buy their spring water for brewing. i created a profile for that water in BS. I am brewing an IPA, so there aren't a whole lot of profiles pre-loaded in there to match what I am doing. I chose "hoppy pale ale". BS suggested various water additions. Just have a question about that. epsom salt-is this the kind you get at walmart for bathing? salt-just table salt? the rest, like calcium chloride and sulfate, and baking soda, I have here at the house. thanks!

Offline enkamania

• BeerSmith Brewer
Re: water additions
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 12:20:29 PM »
Epsom salt is the food grade version which I suspect is what you have.

Offline BOB357

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Beer is my bucket list!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 02:06:25 PM »
Regular Epsom salt, just like you use for a bath. Be sure the only ingredient on the label is Magnesium Sulfate. Salt is non iodized salt. Canning/pickling salt is what you need.
Bob

Offline GigaFemto

• Muonic Matter Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 07:27:43 PM »
My CVS has lots of epsom salts with lavender scent, etc. DON'T buy those! Generic unscented epsom salt will cost you a few bucks for enough to last for many years of brewing. Table salt should be non-iodized. I have heard that iodine kills yeast, so it is safer to use plain NaCl without iodine for your beer. Most grocery stores have both.

--GF

Offline Daso

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 08:04:56 AM »
Are you guys saying that the big bags of epsom salts that you can buy for cheap at Walmart or any pharmacy are good to brew with? I thought we needed food grade epsom salts. Is 100% natural epson salt USP grade the same?

The bags I see always have the "use externally" warnings on them. That kinda means don't eat it doesn't it?

Offline GigaFemto

• Muonic Matter Rocks!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 01:56:49 PM »
You definitely want to get something food grade. My big bag from CVS says "Saline Laxative" on it. It has directions for external use but also for drinking it.

--GF

Online Oginme

• Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 02:07:52 PM »
Totally agree with GF.  Those marked 'for external use only' have not been put through testing for possible contamination/impurities to the same extent that anything meant for internal consumption would need.  Most of the time, it is probably OK, but it is better to be safe than end up with some unwanted side effects.

Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline GigaFemto

• Muonic Matter Rocks!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 02:22:24 PM »
This is the one I use:
https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-epsom-salt-128-oz-prodid-1190032

$7.99 for enough to make many year's worth of beer.

--GF

modification