• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

water additions

Reaction score
Hi, I downloaded a current copy of the water report from my grocer where i buy their spring water for brewing. i created a profile for that water in BS. I am brewing an IPA, so there aren't a whole lot of profiles pre-loaded in there to match what I am doing. I chose "hoppy pale ale". BS suggested various water additions. Just have a question about that. epsom salt-is this the kind you get at walmart for bathing? salt-just table salt? the rest, like calcium chloride and sulfate, and baking soda, I have here at the house. thanks!

Epsom salt is the food grade version which I suspect is what you have.

Regular Epsom salt, just like you use for a bath. Be sure the only ingredient on the label is Magnesium Sulfate. Salt is non iodized salt. Canning/pickling salt is what you need.

My CVS has lots of epsom salts with lavender scent, etc. DON'T buy those! Generic unscented epsom salt will cost you a few bucks for enough to last for many years of brewing. Table salt should be non-iodized. I have heard that iodine kills yeast, so it is safer to use plain NaCl without iodine for your beer. Most grocery stores have both.

--GF

Are you guys saying that the big bags of epsom salts that you can buy for cheap at Walmart or any pharmacy are good to brew with? I thought we needed food grade epsom salts. Is 100% natural epson salt USP grade the same?

The bags I see always have the "use externally" warnings on them. That kinda means don't eat it doesn't it?

You definitely want to get something food grade. My big bag from CVS says "Saline Laxative" on it. It has directions for external use but also for drinking it.

--GF

Totally agree with GF.  Those marked 'for external use only' have not been put through testing for possible contamination/impurities to the same extent that anything meant for internal consumption would need.  Most of the time, it is probably OK, but it is better to be safe than end up with some unwanted side effects.

This is the one I use:
https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-epsom-salt-128-oz-prodid-1190032

$7.99 for enough to make many year's worth of beer.

--GF

Back