• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Opinions on Juicy Pale Ale Recipe

Your flaked oats really need to be mashed to convert the starches from the oats into sugars.  Otherwise, the starches will become a vector for bacteria to thrive and infect the bottles. 

I would suggest swapping that out for a wheat extract which will still give you some body and mouthfeel.

Hop additions look pretty good.  I have a summer wheat I brew with about 9 IBU first wort hopping and then nothing until whirlpool/steeping additions.  You might want to consider taking your zero minute additions and adding them after chilling your wort down to 170F.  You won't get as much bitterness, but a lot more hop flavor and aroma.

Thanks for the reply!  Great suggestion for adding the late hops during whirlpool.  I'll wait until about 170* and give it a go.  I plan to use a pump and plate chiller after the boil, with the wort going back to the kettle.  Can I continue to circulate and cool, then drop the hops in?  Or should I try to keep it at 170* for a certain amount of time?

With the flaked oats...I had planned to steep the crushed grains at 150* before the boil, for about 15 minutes.  Would that be safe, or do you still suggest that I stay away from the flaked oats?

Cheers!

With the oats, you need some type of base malt to provide diastatic enzymes to convert the starches into sugars.  Specialty malts are non-diastatic. 

If you want to stick with oats, get some oat malt (not flaked) and mash them at 150F for about 20 to 30 minutes.

Yikes, thanks for the advice!  Reading into it more now. 

I'll make the switch as you advised.  Still look fine to use the combination of malted oats, honey-malt, and carapils?  Trying to gain a little creaminess, sweetness and to help with head retention, which my last couple brews has lacked.

Back