Author Topic: Evaporation rate  (Read 386 times)

Offline Roamer321

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Evaporation rate
« on: October 04, 2020, 09:09:50 AM »
I am going to start brewing one gallon batch. I have always brewed 5 gallon. So I boiled 1.5 gallons(192oz) of water  for 1 hour to test the evaporation rate. I ended up with 106oz a little over 3 quarts. How much should I start with? Is there a way to calculate this in Beersmith?

Offline Oginme

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
Re: Evaporation rate
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 09:22:54 AM »
BeerSmith will calculate the boil volume for you when you input the information you just obtained into an equipment profile specifically for the small volume you are planning on brewing.  If this is the same equipment your normally use, you can make a copy of your existing profile and then adjust the numbers for the target volume and boil off rate to match your anticipated batch size.  This should get you close on your first try and you can made further adjustments for future batches of this size.

Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline roamer

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 04:10:32 PM »
I am looking at the equipment profile and do not see where I can enter the initial volume and the final after my test boil. Can you direct me to that please?

Offline Oginme

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 04:46:25 PM »
In the equipment profile, you enter in the amount of volume which was evaporated.  I have attached a screen snap of one of my profiles.  Note that I have set for a 90 minute boil, but I have entered in the amount of volume lost in one hour and clicked on the 'use boil off as an hourly rate' so that the program uses my boil off figure and will scale that to match my actual boil time.  If this were unchecked, then the program would scale down if I made a change to a 60 minute boil. 

See the part outlined in red.

Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

modification