• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Help understanding Mash volumes/profile

gresco

New Forum Member
Reaction score
First time user of the forum, so I hope this is in the right forum.  Going to be brewing my 3rd all-grain batch soon.  I have a question about the required water amounts.  I have an igloo style cooler with a significant amount of room below the false bottom (1.5 gals). 

I've set up my equipment and mash profiles, and I'm wondering about the difference between these two numbers and how they are calculated.  The profile says to add 4.17 gal of water as strike water; however, "mash volume needed" is 4.74 (strike + deadspace?).  Which volume do I use?  If I use the former, is it assuming I have to account for the deadspace on my own?  Just seems strange that the numbers are different.

Thanks for any and all help!

The lower number is the total volume which will be taken up by the strike water and the grains.  It is a check to make sure that the combination will not cause you to overflow your mash tun.  If you see the little dot next to it turn red, then you have too much water and grain for your system.

Oginme said:
The lower number is the total volume which will be taken up by the strike water and the grains.  It is a check to make sure that the combination will not cause you to overflow your mash tun.  If you see the little dot next to it turn red, then you have too much water and grain for your system.

Thanks alot, this puts my mind at ease.  Tend to overthink everything!

Back