• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water profile - acid addition?

bobbywells

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have very hard tap water here in the East of England UK and normally use bottled supermarket water.
I put my tap water into the water section of beersmith and against a lager profile it is not showing any mineral additions or acid additions as normal?
Any ideas?

Need a little more information.

I am assuming you entered your water profile into the ingredients database for 'water'

Next, in a recipe you went to the water tab and added your tap water as the source.

Then you moved to the 'water adjustment salts' below the water input and selected 'match target profile'

In the dialog box, you selected a profile for 'lager'

The program did not list any water agents when you clicked 'ok'

If this is correct, then we will need to know the profiles for your tap water and for the profile you are trying to match.  My first guess would be that your tap water already exceeds the target profile in a number of the key ions, and the program model did not recommend any additions.

Hi Oginme and thank you for your response.
Yes I have done everything that you have mentioned.
My local tap water is as follows;
Calcium 142
Magnesium 9.6
Sodium 16.2
Sulfate 120
Chloride 71.5
Bicarbonate 152
Look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks

Trying to match lager profile. My thinking is that I have too many minerals meaning that some need to be reduced.

Something like this?

Ca 50 ppm
Mg 2 ppm
Na 0 ppm
SO4- 44.1 ppm
Cl-  44.1 ppm
CO3- 0 ppm

If this is the case, then you have:

Calcium 142            (+92 ppm)
Magnesium 9.6        (+7 ppm)
Sodium 16.2            (+16 ppm)
Sulfate 120              (+76 ppm)
Chloride 71.5            (+33 ppm)
Bicarbonate 152        (+152 ppm)

There are no ions which you are deficient, so the program has no room to add any salts to come close to the profile you selected.  This is why the program does not give you any recommendations for water agents.

Thank you
I was assuming that the software  may have suggested an acid addition or crs solution or am I expecting too much?

The acid addition recommendation will be on your mash tab.  In order to get the needed acid amount, you need to make sure your target mash pH is correct and then input the estimated mash pH in the measured mash pH field.  Select the acid you have on hand and the program will give you an estimate of how much you need to reach the target.

I will warn you that the current model used for mash pH does have a known issue.  I have outlined it in the thread here:  http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,20449.0.html

Back