• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing with Red X

gmcginty

Apprentice
Reaction score
I would like to make a beer that is RED. Just for fun. Maybe a simple Pilsner with some Red x to create the colour.

Has anyone tried this and could you give me an idea on the percentage of Red X to the whole grain bill for a dominantly RED colour.

I do luv my Pils but changing the colour will be fun.

Thanks
greg

I find Red-X is still a pretty good orange, rather than fire engine red.

My standard red uses high color crystal, dark Munich and a toasted malt. The red color comes from a little Carafe III. I get about 11 SRM from the specialty malts, then add the Carafe to get to 15 SRM. I want to minimize roast character, so I go with the darkest debittered malt I can get. One secret is to mill the carafe to almost a powder so that you need to use less to extract the same color.

Recently, I had a chance to update my recipe for the first time in a looong while. I switched from Thomas Fawcett 120 L to Simpson's Double Roast (115 L) and the flavor is amazing.

Baseline Recipe:
84% Pale Malt
5% TF 120 crystal
5% Munich 10 L (I like Briess Bonlander)
5% Briess Victory malt
1% Weyermann Carafe Special III

I find it is balanced at 30 - 35 IBU overall, with a generous whirlpool addition. American C hops.

Updated Red:
Same basic framework, but what a differnce ingredients can make!
84% Pale Malt
5% Simpson Double Roast Crystal (115 L)
5% Weyermann Munich (6 L)
5% Simpson Amber Malt (45 L)
1% Weyermann Carafe Special III

I used English EKG and Progress. Same IBU target.

Attachments

• Red on State.JPG
    Red on State.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 5
Back