• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fermentation times for a Haze Craze IPA

RaymondMillbrae

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey, Folks, I'll be brewing my first Hazy/Juicy IPA this coming week.

Its for the wifey, and I am pretty excited to brew it.

I only drink porters and stouts, so this will be my first adventure into dry hopping. But I have a few questions.

It is a More Beer recipe, and it calls for 3 ounces of hops on the 3rd day of fermentation.

Then it calls for another 3 ounces of hops 3 days before packaging. (Kegging)?

But it doesn't say the fermentation times.

I am assuming it will be for a month, like my porters and stouts. Is that correct?

So if it is, is it okay to add the first dry hop on the 3rd day of fermentation, and leave it there for 11 days?  (For a total of 2 weeks).

And then after I place it into secondary, place the second 3 ounce batch of hops 3 days before kegging?

Does that sound right? Or will fermenting that long mess with the flavor and aroma of the first dry hop edition?

Lastly, will the flavors and aromas of the dry hops last a while in the keg, or should it be drunk shortly after kegging?

Thanks!

Everyone has a different approach to fermentation and most of them seem to work just fine.

For IPAs, I start by pitching a bit more yeast than I would for a typical ale, aiming for about 1 mil cells/ml/P.  I ferment more to the colder side of the yeast strain I am using and bring the temperature up slowly after the second day until day seven or eight.  I then add the dry hop and cold crash after a day for 2 to 3 days.  I will then package, sometimes bottling, sometimes kegging.  I usually keg my hazy IPAs.

I dry hop my hazy IPAs at 24 to 36 hours and then, as above, a day before cold crashing.

In total I an usually 10 to 12 days from start of fermentation to bottling. 

So you only ferment for about 2 weeks, huh?

Is that all that?s needed for a hazy IPA?

Will longer fermentation not help at all?

And lastly, at what temps do you cold crash?

Seems like this is an easy, less time-fermenting brew.

Thanks.

In general, I only ferment ales for a total of 2 to 3 weeks.  IPA, and especially hazy IPAs with their high sensitivity to oxygen, I try to get into the bottle or keg as soon as possible to minimize cold side oxygen exposure.  some higher alcohol ales: strong Scotch ale, Belgian ales, imperial styles, I will go up to four weeks.

Lagers are a whole different animal, though they really do not need to be. 

One last question...or maybe two.

If I were to place the first edition of dry hops in my primary, then transferred to secondary (where I would place my second edition of dry hops), would I need to remove the first edition bag of dry hops?

And my second question.

Let?s say I decided to NOT do a secondary fermentation. I will just do it all in my primary.

Again, would I need to remove the first edition bag of dry hops before adding the second edition of dry hops?

Thanks.

Going for it on Tuesday.

I generally do no transfer to a secondary fermenter.  I also add my hops free, not bagged into the fermenter, so if I did transfer they would be left behind.

Again, this is a matter of personal preference and there are many different options you could do.  The latest research I have seen indicates that the volatile aroma compounds in hops is extracted in at most a day or two, so I don't see where removing it would not be an issue at all.

Best of luck with your brew day!

Thanks for the responses.

I wanted to review a few more things first, before brewing it.

So my brew day was postponed till Wednesday.

Let?s see what happens.

Hey, Folks, I'll be brewing my first Hazy/Juicy IPA this coming week.

Its for the wifey, and I am pretty excited to brew it.

I only drink porters and stouts, so this will be my first adventure into dry hopping. But I have a few questions.

It is a More Beer recipe, and it calls for 3 ounces of hops on the 3rd day of fermentation.

Then it calls for another 3 ounces of hops 3 days before packaging. (Kegging)?

But it doesn't say the fermentation times.

I am assuming it will be for a month, like my porters and stouts. Is that correct?

So if it is, is it okay to add the first dry hop on the 3rd day of fermentation, and leave it there for 11 days? (For a total of 2 weeks).

And then after I place it into secondary best airless paint sprayer Los Angeles, place the second 3 ounce batch of hops 3 days before kegging?

Does that sound right? Or will fermenting that long mess with the flavor and aroma of the first dry hop edition?

Lastly, will the flavors and aromas of the dry hops last a while in the keg, or should it be drunk shortly after kegging?

Thanks!
Congratulations on brewing your first Hazy/Juicy IPA! Dry hopping is an important step in achieving the desired hop aroma and flavor in these styles. Let's address your questions:

1. Fermentation Time: The fermentation time for a Hazy/Juicy IPA can vary depending on factors such as yeast strain, fermentation temperature, and desired flavor profile. Typically, primary fermentation can last around 7-10 days, but it's best to rely on gravity readings and the behavior of the yeast to determine when fermentation is complete. After primary fermentation, you can proceed with dry hopping.
  2. Dry Hopping Timing: The timing and duration of dry hopping can impact the aroma and flavor of your beer. Adding the first dry hop on the 3rd day of fermentation is a common technique to take advantage of active fermentation and biotransformation of hop compounds. Leaving it for 11 days (2 weeks total) is generally acceptable and can contribute to the desired hop character. However, be mindful of potential oxidation risks during an extended dry hop period.
  3. Secondary Fermentation: In most cases, a secondary fermentation vessel isn't necessary for Hazy/Juicy IPAs. These styles are often fermented and dry hopped in a single vessel to retain hop aromas. You can add the second dry hop 3 days before packaging (kegging), without the need for transferring to a secondary vessel.
  4. Flavor and Aroma Preservation: Hazy/Juicy IPAs are known for their vibrant hop flavors and aromas. When properly stored in a keg with limited oxygen exposure, the hop character can last for several weeks or even longer, depending on the specific beer and storage conditions. However, hop aromas will gradually fade over time, so it's generally recommended to enjoy the beer within a few months of kegging for the best hop experience.
Remember to maintain good sanitation practices throughout the brewing process and pay attention to temperature control to ensure the best possible outcome for your Hazy/Juicy IPA. Enjoy the brewing process and the final product!

Back