• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Color Range in Water Analysis

joelthered

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Does the Color Range in the water analysis component mean that the water profile will actually impact the color of the beer?
Anyone know the calculation behind it?

For example, if I'm brewing a beer that should be say 4 SRM, but the water analysis color range is 5-11SRM. Does this mean the colour of my beer will be driven upwards? or merely that the water profile suits beers of the 5-11SRM range.

No, the water has no impact on the color of the beer unless it is naturally colored by tannins, organic matter, or minerals from the source.  The color range given in the water profile indicates that the profile is designed to give a mash pH in the preferred range of 5.2 to 5.6 with a grain bill designed to produce that color target.

Ok thanks. The reason for thinking that was that I had a problem with my beers always coming out darker, prior to adding brewing salts to hit a target profile.

It is based on the residual alkalinity and gives you a rough idea of the color range for the beer that should require minimal pH adjustment.  It actually comes from Palmer's books and his guidelines for residual alkalinity.

Brad

Back