• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Where did my custom report go?????

NDachi

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a small brewery and I use Beersmith to make all my recipes. I connect it to an excel sheet to have much more detailed information and to help the brewday go much smoother. In order to make this whole system work I created a very detailed custom report.

I tried putting it in a folder in documents like Beersmith says but that didnt work, I tried for days, read all the help forums and it just didnt work. So I put it in the reports folder under "programs" like someone said and that worked perfectly. I have been using it that way for a few months now.

But now I'm prepping for our brewday tomorrow and it's disappeared. What happened???? I went to the reports folder and it's no longer in there. Can someone help me figure out how to get it back? I don't remember the exact way I had everything in there and my ENTIRE excel sheet depends on everything being in the exact order. It took me days to build it and if I have to rebuild it then I'm pretty screwed because I don't have that time in my schedule now (I did it during a slow week in our slow season) Help please, I'm screwed!!!

Note: This is also Beersmith deleted heaps of recipes a few months ago. It sometimes pops up a warning that says Beermsmith is already open and asks me if i want to close it. I always close it the proper way and it says its already open even though its one of the first programs I am opening after turning on my computer. This is really frustrating and It will add time to my brewday if I cant get this fixed. aaaaaarrrrggg!!!!! Why is it being so glitchy lately???

Once you create a custom report, copy it to the 'reports' folder within the BeerSmith folder in your documents.  Now open up BeerSmith and go to 'options' > 'reports'.  Once there, click on 'add report' and you will get a pop up box where you can name your report and point the program to the file in your 'documents/beersmith3/reports' folder.  This registers teh report with the program and will make it an option for you to select and view.

As to the disappearing files, this is a well documented issue right now.  It happens when the program is shut down unexpectedly or the computer is turned off immediately after exiting BeerSmith. There are archive subroutines which happen following the exit from BeerSmith and if these are interrupted, the files which have been partially saved are truncated or lost.  Windows updates in particular are a big cause of some of my early issues, so I no longer keep BeerSmith open when I am not actively using it and have not had an issue since.

If you get the error message that another copy of BeerSmith is running that will tell you that the archival routine has been disrupted and you may have some loss of files.  Brad has a blog post on how to recover lost recipes which works well if you get to it pretty soon after you discover recipes missing.

I tried doing that with my custom reports but it never worked.

And dang, I guess I just have to make a manual backup everytime I change anything on BeerSmith now because I get that message alot even if BeerSmith is closed properly.

Damn, oh well, thanks for trying

It is not just that BeerSmith is closing properly.  The archival subroutines work after the main program has shut down for several minutes following the main beersmith windows closing.  This is when the chances of losing the files is the highest.  I know that Brad has mentioned making some changes in a future release to change how/when this process takes place. 

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the info, I'll be extra careful about backing stuff up knowing that. cheers!

Back