Author Topic: Color Range in Water Analysis  (Read 649 times)

Offline joelthered

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Color Range in Water Analysis
« on: March 07, 2020, 06:16:31 PM »
Does the Color Range in the water analysis component mean that the water profile will actually impact the color of the beer?
Anyone know the calculation behind it?

For example, if I'm brewing a beer that should be say 4 SRM, but the water analysis color range is 5-11SRM. Does this mean the colour of my beer will be driven upwards? or merely that the water profile suits beers of the 5-11SRM range.

Offline Oginme

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
Re: Color Range in Water Analysis
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 06:22:12 PM »
No, the water has no impact on the color of the beer unless it is naturally colored by tannins, organic matter, or minerals from the source.  The color range given in the water profile indicates that the profile is designed to give a mash pH in the preferred range of 5.2 to 5.6 with a grain bill designed to produce that color target.
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline joelthered

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 07:09:43 PM »
Ok thanks. The reason for thinking that was that I had a problem with my beers always coming out darker, prior to adding brewing salts to hit a target profile.

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 08:58:23 PM »
It is based on the residual alkalinity and gives you a rough idea of the color range for the beer that should require minimal pH adjustment.  It actually comes from Palmer's books and his guidelines for residual alkalinity.

Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here