• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water profile problem

Beau Diddly

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm using Beersmith 2.0 and I'm trying to input values from my local water report.  I have all of the values except for Bicarbonate (HCO3) which is not checked on my report.  I've attached the analysis, but all I need to know is how to calculate it if possible, or what to use as an input value.  Thank you.

Beau Diddly said:
I have all of the values except for Bicarbonate (HCO3) which is not checked on my report.  I've attached the analysis, but all I need to know is how to calculate it if possible, or what to use as an input value.

This doesn't look like it tells you anything for brewing, just that the water is generally safe. The items measured are pathogens and trace elements like arsenic, lead, mercury and the like.

I'd be looking for Calcium (Ca), Magnesuim (Mg), Soduim (Na), Chloride (Cl) and the rest of the desirable brewing ions. Perhaps that's on a page that didn't get included in your link?

Often, bicarbonate is close to zero, while carbonate is quite abundant. It gets calculated from total alkalinity, which is something not included in your report (unless I'm misunderstanding their use of "sour capacity").

brewfun said:
Beau Diddly said:
I have all of the values except for Bicarbonate (HCO3) which is not checked on my report.  I've attached the analysis, but all I need to know is how to calculate it if possible, or what to use as an input value.

This doesn't look like it tells you anything for brewing, just that the water is generally safe. The items measured are pathogens and trace elements like arsenic, lead, mercury and the like.

I'd be looking for Calcium (Ca), Magnesuim (Mg), Soduim (Na), Chloride (Cl) and the rest of the desirable brewing ions. Perhaps that's on a page that didn't get included in your link?

Often, bicarbonate is close to zero, while carbonate is quite abundant. It gets calculated from total alkalinity, which is something not included in your report (unless I'm misunderstanding their use of "sour capacity").

My mistake, the PDF was only the first page.  The second page shows all of the values except HCO3.
https://www.vgwerke-weilerbach.de/images/Pdf/WW_Trinkwasseranalyse_Rodenbach_2018.pdf

Attachments

• WW Trinkwasseranalyse Rodenbach 2018 p2.pdf
    313.4 KB · Views: 4
Beau Diddly said:
My mistake, the PDF was only the first page.  The second page shows all of the values except HCO3.

Thanks for the second page. I tried to lookup the water quality report, but only came up with the same first page.  Plugging your numbers into Bru'n Water shows a pretty balanced profile taking the numers as they are.

It looks like "Calcitl?sekapazit?t" means total alkalinity or temporary hardness? The next line "Calcitabscheidekapazit?t" looks like permanent hardness? If so, you have very, very little bicarbonate and carbonate. Using the Calcitl?sekapazit?t number as temporary hardness I get bicarbonate 6 mg/l and carbonate 1 mg/l.

I suspect that these numbers are based on averages, so they won't completely balance out. The thing is that water reports don't always tell you exactly what they are measuring. Sulfate, for instance, is often measured as SO4-S, which gives a different result for alkalinity. When I plug in the conversion from the report's number of 19, the SO4-S result is 57, which brings the balance even closer.

You may need to call the water company and ask for a chemist. I've found that if you tell them you're a homebrewer, they're very helpful.

Back