• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Scaling Recipes Beyond Fermentors Capacity

Rep

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
(Moderator, if this is not the appropriate forum please move this topic. Thanks)

Hi,
I have been brewing 11.25 gallon batches. I ferment in a 14 gallon conical.

The capacity of my HLT and boil kettle along with a 15 gallon mash tun lead me to believe I can upgrade capacity. My thought is to brew a 16.25 gallon batch and send the wort to the conical as well as a 6 gallon carboy.

Will Beersmith 3 get mad at me if I simply scale my 11.25 gallon to the 16.25 gallon level? Or, would I have to make specific equipment accommodations?

If you are using the same equipment with the same process losses that you had in the past, then there will be a change in your brew house efficiency which you will need to take into account.  You can do this with the same basic equipment profile and ratio your former brew house efficiency based upon the ratio in batch volume between the two different batch sizes and making an updated equipment profile which uses this new brew house efficiency.

Back