• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hop additions insignificantly increasing IBUs

JRT3

New Forum Member
Reaction score
  On my first 3 recipes, everything was fine.  Now, when adding hops, the IBUs go up very little.  For example, i added 5 oz of amarillo for 60 min to a 3 gal batch and got 2 IBUs.  Did i change a setting inadvertantly?

Not sure.  There is only one setting for hop utilization that I am aware of which is in the equipment profile and only affects batch sizes above 20 gallons.  There maybe something else involved in how your recipes are being built or process specific limits. 

If you want to share the recipe so that we can go through it to analyze what may be limiting the IBU calculation, you can export a recipe as a .bsmx file and post it here or if it is a shared recipe on the cloud you can post the link.  To export a recipe, highlight the recipe in the folder and click on 'file' > 'export selected' and you will get a dialog box to save the recipe.  Make sure the file type is set to .bsmx when you save it.

I almost never find you in error Oginme, but this is an exception. Changing the value in the Large Batch Hop Util. box will definitely affect smaller batch sizes. I only know this because I brew at about 4,000 ft. altitude and used that feature do adjust utilization when using BS2.

BOB357 said:
I almost never find you in error Oginme, but this is an exception. Changing the value in the Large Batch Hop Util. box will definitely affect smaller batch sizes. I only know this because I brew at about 4,000 ft. altitude and used that feature do adjust utilization when using BS2.

Interesting, having never screwed with it, I took the verbiage below that setting at face value and never challenged it through testing.

And, in running a quick test, you are entirely correct!  Learned something today, I can take the rest of the day off!  (I wish!)

Oginme said:
BOB357 said:

Interesting, having never screwed with it, I took the verbiage below that setting at face value and never challenged it through testing.

And, in running a quick test, you are entirely correct!  Learned something today, I can take the rest of the day off!  (I wish!)

That's what I figured, and you've earned the remainder of the day off :) Just try and convince your boss of that.

Back