• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New Year's wish list for BeerSmith

Oginme

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Below is my wish list of improvements to BeerSmith which I hope would/could be incorporated in upcoming updates.  These are not listed in any order of priority and I do believe that they can be implemented easily as much of the information is already inherent in the program or can be entered by the user.

(1) Move the grain absorption rate into the equipment profile.  For many of us who use multiple brew set ups, each with their own ending retention of water in the grains, this would be a major easement of headaches.  It really is a factor in brewing which is dependent upon the equipment and process and not a set parameter which is constant across different processes,

(2) Correct the calculation of pre-boil gravity estimate to reflect gravity expectation using standard room temperature volume.  The present calculation uses the thermally expanded volume and the gravity points based upon the end of boil volume (cold).  Given this, the gravity point balance in the program?s own calculation is always off by the same percentage as the thermal expansion coefficient.  It also means that the calculation of actual mash efficiency by the program is incorrect, 

(3) Expand the ?vols? tab to give the user the calculations of the actual parameters in the equipment profile compared to those of the current equipment profile.  Most of this information is currently included in the program but some additional user entered values would give the program all the data needed to do the calculations for the users.  This would certainly help in troubleshooting process issues as well as determining which numbers in the equipment profile may need to be updated.  Here is a list of what can be added for the calculations:

a. Actual volume of strike and sparge water:  would give the information needed to determine grain absorption based upon the pre-boil volume, the mash tun losses, and any top off water,
b. Pre-boil volume and post boil volume would give the actual boil off rate vs plan,
c. Actual trub losses vs estimated losses to provide the balance of information needed to do an actual gravity point balance,
d. The calculation of preboil vs post boil gravity points would give the user the information on any errors in measurements or how much to rely on the calculated process values.

I'm going to bump this as Brad seems to be looking at/replying to more posts with the new web recipe editor.

Oginme said:
d. The calculation of preboil vs post boil gravity points would give the user the information on any errors in measurements or how much to rely on the calculated process values.

This is the problem with my system.  It always predicts a bigger jump in gravity from pre-boil to post boil than I know I will get. 

I wish I could have a separate date for when a yeast starter was made. I never make a yeast starter on brew day. I make it anywhere from several days to weeks in advance.

--GF

Thanks,
  I will add these items to my list - I do appreciate the feedback!

Brad

I?d like to add:

In BeerSmith mobile > Tools > Alcohol and Attenuation: please add carbohydrates. Currently calories are listed but many of us are watching carbs so an in-house tool would be nice vs having to go out to a third party calculator.

Back