• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BS3 Carb Level

Cabin

Brewer
Reaction score
Hey everyone
I want to use a carbonation profile that uses 40psi for 36hrs. but I don't know how to adjust the field Carb Level - Vols.

Is this something I can change?

tx
Cabin

The carbonation profile gives you the pressure needed to achieve a given temperature and carbonation level desired.  It does not cover nor gives recommendations on carbonation methods such as burst carbonating.  It assumes a set pressure at a set temperature and waiting for the beer and gas to achieve equilibrium. 

There are numerous ways of achieving a desired carbonation level. A method such as burst carbonating such as setting the pressure up high (40 psi) for a short period of time (35 hrs) to rapidly induce the CO2 into becoming absorbed into the beer more rapidly and then dialing down to the target psi which matches your desired carbonation level.

Yes
This is exactly what I want to do:

There are numerous ways of achieving a desired carbonation level. A method such as burst carbonating such as setting the pressure up high (40 psi) for a short period of time (35 hrs) to rapidly induce the CO2 into becoming absorbed into the beer more rapidly and then dialing down to the target psi which matches your desired carbonation level.

So from what I am gleaning from your statement is that there is no way to configure BS3 to achieve this?

As stated, BeerSmith will give you the pressure needed at a given temperature to give you the level of carbonation you set in the recipe.  You can use the notes in your recipe or carbonation profile to specify how you want to get to the carbonation level but the program does not have the ability to specify a burst carbonation profile in time/temperature/pressure schedule.

Cabin said:
So from what I am gleaning from your statement is that there is no way to configure BS3 to achieve this?

Correct. BeerSmith sets a target head pressure for equilibrium according to Henry's Law. I don't know of any program that does a gradient profile. If you do, please share it with us.

A critical factor missing from your method is temperature. Are you cooling the beer at the same time or is there a set temperature? This will have a significant effect on how fast and how much CO2 is dissolved. Are you shaking the keg as you carbonate it?

Another way to carbonate is the good ol' set-it-and-forget-it method. Hook your keg to the gas line and set the regulator to serving pressure and just leave it there. My keezer is set to 40F and my regulator at about 12 PSI and my beer is ready in as little as 4 days although 7 to 10 is usually better. With this method the Beersmith carbonation profile works very well. That being said however instead of the Beersmith tool I just keep a chart like the one attached posted near my keezer.

Attachments

• CarbonationChart_GTK.jpg
    CarbonationChart_GTK.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 283
Back