• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Inventory loss

zacgyver

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm quite certain at this point that BeerSmith 'forgets' inventory occasionally. Is this a known issue / anyone else seen this?
I've been unable to identify the complete steps to recreate this problem. Have seen this happen many times with various ingredients (I use the software quite a bit and have a pretty large amount of ingredients, so there's quite a lot of activity between noticing this sort of thing happen!) Here's the most recent incident where I'm completely certain I didn't do something strange and 'accidentally' remove inventory:
About a month ago I re-inventoried all of my hops in BeerSmith.
One of the items was 4 oz of Aramis.
This evening, I started designing a recipe with those hops today, and was surprised to find no Aramis in my inventory. Thinking perhaps I remembered the wrong hops, I went to confirm I had those in the freezer. Then I did a local search to check if I had never even created a recipe with those hops to rule out the possibility that I accidentally "Remove Inv'd" them at some point.
So now I am quite certain I did add them to the inventory, and have never used them. Yet they were no longer listed in my inventory.

Since adding those hops to the inventory, I have brewed 3 beers and did use the "Remove Inv" function on those three. Have designed several new brews. Added new ingredients to the inventory. I've also made use of the Session-Fermentation Readings. But this is the first recipe with those particular hops, so I have no good explanation for how they might have been removed from the inventory.

P.S. Software developer here, so I appreciate just how annoying this (lack of) information is and I apologize! Frankly, I'd be glad to offer any assistance I can in figuring this out... again, I've been unable to identify the conditions, which has been rather frustrating since I would prefer to give you reproduction steps here!

Hi,
  Most of the data loss issues are related to the program not shutting down properly or closing the program and then quickly closing a laptop or desktop before it has saved all of the data.  There are backups under File->Backup which will allow you to recover most of the data, but it can be prevented by giving BeerSmith a few seconds to store data when shutting down.

I've actually been working for several months not on a transaction based database for BeerSmith desktop which will immediately write the data when the transaction is committed and also will give me the infrastructure to do cloud based ingredients and inventory.  It has been a painfully slow process to get this done, but it will significantly improve storage when I release it in a month or two.

Brad

BeerSmith said:
Hi,
  Most of the data loss issues are related to the program not shutting down properly or closing the program and then quickly closing a laptop or desktop before it has saved all of the data.  There are backups under File->Backup which will allow you to recover most of the data, but it can be prevented by giving BeerSmith a few seconds to store data when shutting down.

I've actually been working for several months not on a transaction based database for BeerSmith desktop which will immediately write the data when the transaction is committed and also will give me the infrastructure to do cloud based ingredients and inventory.  It has been a painfully slow process to get this done, but it will significantly improve storage when I release it in a month or two.

Brad

Brad; if you can move inventory to the cloud you will be my new hero..
we have a brewery that has a rotating set of brewers and it's been hell to keep track of shared inventory..

Brad -

Please let us know when you get the update for cloud-based inventory done.  That would be awesome.  I find it rather difficult to take my desktop top to the store to purchase grains based on my inventory.

Thank You -

Back