• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

RO system?

ace0005

Apprentice
Reaction score
    Hello, I've just upgraded to a 1/2 barrel EHERMS system!!  I'm fully ready to bring my brewing to the next level and truly embrace the craft. 

That being said, I'm wondering if I should invest in a reverse osmosis filter.  I had my water tested by Ward, but I'm having trouble deciding if it would be worth the investment.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Whether the use of an RO system or not is best for your water profile depends entirely upon your water test results.  Without seeing them, you will get opinions on the use or not but it will be unknown if this advice is pertinent to your situation.

You have a water report but what is it telling you? Here is a section of John Palmer's book, How to Brew (1st edition free online) which explains a bit about what you want to look for in your water report. Unless your water is complete crap to the point you have to use RO water you may just want to use what you have. You will have to treat RO water anyway so if you have good water why not just treat what you have?

John Palmer was also behind this book. Anyone serious about their water treatment should read it... Water: A Comprehensive Guide for Brewers

Thanks for the feedback!  I am actually in the process of reading Water by Palmer.  I pretty much feel the same way in terms of only getting an RO if I need it.  I guess I just needed to hear someone else say it!  Thanks!

Back