• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water profile tool differs from recipe water tab

merfizle

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I believe the Water tab in the recipe doesn't calculate the mineral additions correctly. It's way too high. It might have always been off but just noticed? I usually use a different water calculator and then move those additions to the BS3 water tab.

I included screen shots of the water tool vs. the water tab.

Notice that calcium, sulphate and chloride additions are all inflated in the recipe. I did cross-check with another popular brewing water calculator and it pretty closely matches the BS3 water tool.

Cheers,

Mark

Attachments

• Water tab in recipe.png
    Water tab in recipe.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 223
  • Water tool.png
    Water tool.png
    56.5 KB · Views: 233
In the water profile tool, you are adjusting the total water requirements you entered (9.0 gal).

In the water tab, you entered in the total water requirement and had the program match this profile, but all the mineral salts are added to the mash.  So the mineral and ion totals you see are based upon 3.25 gallons of mash water, which when diluted with the remainder of your water should give you an ending balance that matches your targets for the full volume.

Ah, thanks! That's exactly what I did wrong.

So, on the water tab I see ion content of the source water, mash water and sparge water. Is there a total water display besides using the water tool?

Cheers,

Mark

The BS3 water tool is drastically different than the 1.x days or even the 2 days.

Back