• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Name brand malts not added to total?

Brew Bama

Master Brewer
Reaction score
So... I am brewing right now: a Golden Ale. I elected to add on Thomas Fawcett Malts because I am using their Maris Otter. I know based on numerous past brews how much strike liquor to add to the grain weight because I use this qty quite often. However, I noticed in Brewday Timer that BS is telling me to add only a portion of what I know I should add.  I am using mobile on iPad.  I realized it?s because I used the name brand Maris Otter vs the generic MO. What do others do to work around this?

Your water volumes should have nothing to do with the brand of malt used. The difference must be in your mash profile. I don't use the mobile version for recipe design so I can't say if it's an issue directly related to that platform or not. What I do do however is create my recipes on the full version... upload them to the cloud... retrieve the cloud copy to my iPad and use that in the garage on brew day. If I encounter any inconsistencies like this is usually because I've made changes somewhere along that line and forgot to update the copy I am working on.

I agree it shouldn?t have anything to do with it. But if I remove the Thomas Fawcett MO and replace it with generic MO ? without doing anything else ? the problem goes away. BS is not recognizing name brand malt in the water calc.

With 5 gal, without 2+ gal

Attachments

• 9B980174-89C6-4E62-9F30-36069EC03C78.png
    9B980174-89C6-4E62-9F30-36069EC03C78.png
    435.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 4B703370-9170-4BBC-901B-551D5CFB26A3.png
    4B703370-9170-4BBC-901B-551D5CFB26A3.png
    409.7 KB · Views: 11
The first thing that pops out is that in one you have 11 pounds 8 ounces in the mash ingredients and the other has 16 pounds 8 ounces.

sorry. There should have been a third photo. As you can see if I add Thomas Fawcett it makes no difference than if I simply delete it. It?s not recognizing the Thomas Fawcett.

Attachments

• D80DE9AB-81B8-4C05-A8BE-AC1FC5ACEFA6.png
    D80DE9AB-81B8-4C05-A8BE-AC1FC5ACEFA6.png
    527.5 KB · Views: 7
The screen shots do not have enough information to figure out what is going on.  They may show the issue, but not the cause nor the background data to determine the cause.  Since you are using BS mobile (which I do not have), maybe you can upload the different variants you have to the cloud and then link them here so we can see the full recipe and profiles to help diagnose the roots of the issue.

Thank you. Not sure exactly how to do what you?ve asked. Is this correct?

Unlisted Sharing Link
If unlisted, this recipe can be reached using this sharing link:
https://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/2688729

Unlisted Search ID
You can also search for this recipe if unlisted using this ID:
ID_2688729

That worked.  When I get a chance I will look at that file.  Is there another copy which shows where the volumes are different?

I appreciate you looking into it. In this version I removed generic ?MO? and replaced it with TF MO. When I go to the brewday timer it tells me to add a reduced amount of strike and and increased amount of sparge. It isn?t recognizing the TFMO.

Unlisted Sharing Link
If unlisted, this recipe can be reached using this sharing link:
https://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/2765663

Unlisted Search ID
You can also search for this recipe if unlisted using this ID:
ID_2765663

OK, so I opened both of the recipes (renaming one to allow the program to open it up without overwriting the other).  When I looked at the brew steps txt report, it clearly showed the issue with the recipe containing the TFMO having a much lower infusion volume.  I checked out the mash tab and in both recipes the mash tab showed the same initial infusion volume.  I looked at the TFMO versus the MOPA, no issues there.  Looked at the first infusion step for the water to grain ratio and found them to be equal.  Saved the recipes back (even though I did not make any changes) and the water infusion is now equal.  Both recipes read the same.

I cannot tell you what corrected the issue, but something I looked into seemed to reset whatever was making the water volumes come out wonky.

Makes you go ...hmmm. I appreciate you looking into it. As I said I pretty much know what to use for my system so i don?t really use it. I just noticed it as a ?bug?. To work around generic MO can be used.

Back