• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pale Ale DME Missing??

cmfarrell72

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I see pale liquid extract, but no dried pale ale extract in the ingredient list. What should I be using in place of Pale Ale DME?

Thank you

Your best option is to obtain a specification sheet from the supplier and enter in the DME as a new ingredient in the 'fermentables' library.  Then you have exactly the data you need to properly use it.  If the specification sheet is not available, then I would select the DME which matches the closest for color specification of the DME you have.

Look up the recent Brulosophy podcast on liquid vs dry malt extract. Their findings are that LME will  give you a much darker beer than expected. Even if you use light pilsen LME and light pilsen DME the LME beer will come out looking like an amber at best. The conclusion was for darker beers you can get away with using liquid malt extract but if you are going for a lighter color and lighter bodies beer (they found a difference in flavor character in the LME too) stick with the dry malt. Another added benefit to using DME is that you can use 20% less as compared with LME.

Good luck.

Back