• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Counterflow chiller

kw642

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I recently received a counterflow chiller.  It has garden hose connections for the water but there is no hardware for the wort.  What's the best way to move the wort through it?  I assume I just run a tube from the kettle to the chiller on the one end and let gravity do it's thing, but what about the other?  I'm guessing a pump is necessary?  Also, does it go back into the kettle a few times before going to the fermentor, or is one pass enough?  Any decent video links pertaining this would be greatly appreciated - I can't seem to find any.

I just started using one myself. I added camlock quick disconnects to my wort fittings and to the end where the wort comes out I fitted a thermometer. I'm still trying to work out myself whether to use a pump or to gravity feed the wort through the CFC and whether I need to recirculate it or just one pass.

I go pot with ball valve with cam lock to hose to pump. From pump to hose with shark bite fitting to chiller. From chiller shark bite fitting to ball valve (for flow/temp control) to thrumometer to hose to fermenter. I also have my sanitizer bucket fitted with a cam lock so I can pump sanitizer thru the system before hooking up to the pot.

Very helpful guys, thanks.  Bryanooo, is one pass through the chiller enough to get the wort down to pitching temperature?

Back