• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Liquid Volume Loss During Steep/Whirlpool

jdewaters

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been asked, but I was wondering what they correct way is to account for liquid volume lost post boil during the steep/whirlpool step?

I realize I can put the lid on my kettle during this step to eliminate losses, but I'd rather not risk DMS in my beer (even though the jury is out on whether this is really an issue), and I've noticed that my losses are pretty substantial - nearly half what I loose during the boil during a 30 minute whirlpool!

So far the only way I've figured to do it is to create a separate equipment profile with a larger boiloff rate for use on beers when I'm whirlpooling, but I'm wondering if (a) is this messing up my water volume requirements for 'whirlpooled' beers and (b) is there a simpler way to do this?

Cheers!

How are you determining the volume losses for your whirlpool.  If you measure the volume at flame out and then allow the wort to cool down during the whirlpool, you may actually be looking at cooling shrinkage.  I have found very little volume losses during the whirlpool and I have done some extensive whirlpooling.  Certainly no losses that are any different from my normal process variation, and I track every brew that I make.

Back