Author Topic: Adding coffee  (Read 245 times)

Offline kw642

• BeerSmith Brewer
Adding coffee
« on: November 01, 2019, 09:00:02 AM »
Hello,

I'd like to add coffee to a stout recipe I'm experimenting with.  I've never done this before.  Any tips and when and how to add it to the batch?  It's a 5 gallon recipe so advice on how much to add is also appreciated.

Thanks

Offline stradog

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: Adding coffee
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 01:32:55 PM »
I've added whole coffee beans to the secondary on a stout made. I used 6 oz of whole coffee beans in a 5.5 gallon batch, in a hop bag in the secondary and it came out very nice. Good coffee flavor and easy clean up, without any coffee grounds to deal with.

Offline dangerisbrewing

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 02:08:49 PM »
I made a pot of coffee, with a little more coffee than I would usually use, and poured it into the secondary and it turned out very nice!

Offline BOB357

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Beer is my bucket list!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 04:56:52 PM »
The only beer I've ever used coffee in was an Amber Ale. I cold steeped a double dose of dark roast in my French Press overnight, pressed and added to the wort at the end of the boil. The result was a definite presence that didn't overshadow or detract from the overall character.
Bob

Offline kw642

• BeerSmith Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 09:17:10 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I ended up adding 2 oz. of fine grounds in a muslin bag at the end of the boil, and just added another 2 oz. of very coarse grounds just now (3.5 days into fermentation).  We'll see how it goes.  I've heard great things about the overnight cold steep in the french press.  I'll try that next time.