• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Something went wrong with my profile, changes everywhere

solidute

Apprentice
Reaction score
Little background info. I Biab, my pot is slightly too small for full volume so I've been managing to top up liquid after mash and again after boil - 3 litres each time to get back to my correct volume.

So yesterday I scaled a recipe as per normal practice. Got into the brew day today, again, as it was nothing fancy and I'm on my 40th all grain brew i have a reasonably standard routine going by now so hadn't looked at beersmith.

Part way into the mash I bring up the recipe and go about making sure the session data is up to speed -correct date etc. Then i pick up that the water volume is higher than i normally use and started looking around and see my profile had changed - only in this recipe not on beersmith itself - to a 75 minute boil.

Now this skewed my brewday timer and all sorts of things.

Kinda ruined my brewday - the beer should be ok as i hit the gravity, well a gravity,  close to where I was aiming for. But the joy i usually have wasnt there for the rest of the day.

Wanting to start from scratch again, wrap my head around it all again, and get it right...... again!

Ive seen a couple of links to the brulosophy video and article, has anyone else found a guide for idiots that dumbs the process down a bit, maybe guides the viewer to where to find each setting, explains some of the process of how to work out each number to enter etc?

Been a few years since my profile was set up and someone else did part of that. Looking for a refresher.

Is it possible that you did not change the equipment profile when you scaled the recipe?  This is the only thing that would make a change in boil time as well as top off volumes.  After that, while the equipment profile manages the volume losses in the system and sugar extraction, the mash profile manages the volumes in the mash.  If you did not change this to match your personalized mash profiles, it may have demanded more water for the mash than you have set up for your practices.

Revisiting your equipment profile periodically is always a good idea.  We tend to drift in our practices and adopt new ways without looking at the effects it has on the predictions.  For a BIAB equipment profile, the Brulosophy videos will step you through the key features.  There are a few new ones in BS3 which are not hard to figure out once you get the basic profile updated (mostly in the whirlpool and elevation additions).  Brad also has a number of videos which can be found on YouTube regarding setting up equipment profiles which will step you through the process.  A search on this forum will yield a few threads which also guide you and these are stickied in each forum topic.

Cheers Oginme.

Yeah i definitely changed the profiles when scaling.

Just not sure where things went wayward. Looked good when I did it all the previous night, just on brewday it was all over the place.

Cheers. I'll have to spend some time looking at everything again.

Just had to check.  I scale recipes all the time between my several systems and brew sizes and have never run across the issue you raised.  If you have questions on calculating any of the values you need, feel free to respond back for help.

I just had this happen to me as well not sure why, the profile on the yesterdays beer was the same as two others I had done in the past month, both past batches came out spot on. I should have noticed something was wrong when there was only 2 gals of sparge water for a 6 gallon boil.  I figured maybe it was because there was more grain in this one than the past two batches but once I started the sparge it was apparent something was wrong as the water level above the grain bed was crazy. 

Looked at the recipes after the brew day as I missed gravity by a good amount and that is when I noticed the profile issue.  After playing around with the initial recipe I decided to look at the past two I had done both had same profiles selected and both had extreme variances in mash and sparge volume.  I saved the profile off one of the two I hit spot on, it saves as a copy of the profile so I renamed it and applied it to yesterdays recipe and boom all mash and sparge volumes are in the same ball park still not sure how this could happen

I wish I had some words to help you, but I have not encountered anything like what you are describing, and I use BeerSmith on a very regular basis, at least 4 to 5 times a week.  The only thing that I can think of which would account for this is the basic nature of how BeerSmith stores recipes. 

Every recipe is an archive, so when an equipment profile is attached to a recipe it becomes fixed.  If the user then updates the equipment profile the recipe will not reflect the changes until the user updates the profile in the recipe itself.  For this reason, I tag my equipment profiles with the date that it was last updated.  This way when I bring up a recipe, I can see at a glance if it contains the latest version of the profiles I have been using.

Back