• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Keg to bottle

lynch140

Apprentice
Reaction score
I kegged  for the first time (a lager) last night, the keg is now gone into the fridge to keep cold.  My plan is to use the keg to carbonate my beers, so after 7 days at the correct PSI I plan to transfer the beer from the keg to bottles using a beer gun.  My question is once transferred into bottles can the bottles be kept at my keller temp (around 19c) and then cooled in a fridge closer to serving?  As I have heard that a keg must always be kept cold if holding beer due or it could go sour

lynch140 said:
I kegged  for the first time (a lager) last night, the keg is now gone into the fridge to keep cold.  My plan is to use the keg to carbonate my beers, so after 7 days at the correct PSI I plan to transfer the beer from the keg to bottles using a beer gun.  My question is once transferred into bottles can the bottles be kept at my keller temp (around 19c) and then cooled in a fridge closer to serving? As I have heard that a keg must always be kept cold if holding beer due or it could go sour

The key words you stated in RED above are purely anecdotal.  Beer will only sour if it has been contaminated with bacteria which will cause the beer to sour.  The same issue happens with bottling.  If you have sanitary conditions and sanitize your bottles you should be safe in either circumstance.  One thing that I would recommend is to warm the keg up to the same storage temperatures you will keep the bottles once filled to prevent foaming and additional loss of carbonation while bottling due to the beer temperature changing as it enters the warmer kept bottles.  The other alternative is to chill your bottles when filling.

well I would hope i santize pretty well so storing the bottles at 19c/66f in my cellar (no light) should not be an issue so

Back