• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water profile tool

yegnal

Apprentice
Reaction score
Greetings;

I'm interested in using the water profile tool in 2.3.xxx and I've tried, but it seems less than intuitive to say the least.  After struggling to understand what is happening and how to use that tool, I finally gave up.

Is there something I'm missing ?

Is the tool any different in version 3 of beersmith ?

The water tool is extremely improved in BS3.  It is fully integrated in the recipes and mash pH predictions.  While being present in BS2 in a much cruder form, it was not easy nor intuitive to use and had no real impact on the mash pH prediction. 

I have RO water & I want to make a Black IPA. The water tool in BS3 is neither intuitive nor easy to use. The drop down lists have neither water profiles listed.

Intuitive and easy to use will always depend on a basic understanding of the process. If you lack that, you really should do some reading on the process you're interested in. I find the water tool in BS3 to be outstanding.

grommetik said:
I have RO water & I want to make a Black IPA. The water tool in BS3 is neither intuitive nor easy to use. The drop down lists have neither water profiles listed.

OK, RO water is essentially the same as distilled water.  This gives you the base water you want to build from.  The selection of the target profile is completely user defined.  I would say a starting place is Palmer's 'black dry' water profile. 

Back