• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Confirming mash tun profile settings

brian_muz

Brewer
Reaction score
I just purchased an SS Brewtech 10 gallon (38 litre) mash tun.

This mash tun drains from a central drain hole under a false bottom so that you can drain 100% of the wort.

However, I've found the last 500ml drained from the mash is really cloudy and I want to account for the fact that I leave it in the tun to keep the kettle volumes nice and clear.

I've configured my equipment profile for this mash tun like this:

38 litres
12.5kg
0.12 specific heat
1.5 recoverable deadspace
0.5 mash deadspace losses
Adjust Mash Vol for Losses = tick
Top up Water for Kettle 0.00

Just want to confirm this is going to do what I want it to.

Thanks!

Profile looks reasonable.  How do you know when you get to the last 500 ml? 

As an aside, being a BIAB brewer I have learned not to worry so much about the cloudy wort.  In my experience, the relationship between cloudy wort and finished beer clarity is rather weak plus the proteins contained in the cloudy part of the wort usually results in a stronger hot break and cold break.

I agree cloudy wort isn't a huge issue when it comes to kettle trub getting into the fermenter. I'm a little more cautious about fine mash material making it into the boil kettle. It's probably not a huge issue either but if I can cut it out with a simple process like this then I think its worth it.

How do I know when I'm at the last 500ml? Good question. I guess if I get all my BS inputs right and I fill the kettle to the predicted volume then there should be only 500ml left. I can measure this and tweak if it's out but it should be pretty close to the hole.

Back