• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hops in Fridge

lynch140

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a couple of small vacuum packed hops in my fridge for the last 3 weeks.

I plan to use them to do a Czech Pilsner next weekend, should they be ok or should they have been frozen?  and should I get a fresher set of hops?

If the hops have been in nitrogen flushed, vacuum packed bags, then you have nothing to worry about.

If the bags have been opened and then resealed, then you have nothing to worry about.

If the bags have been opened and then resealed and left on the counter for 3 weeks, I would not worry about them.

The longer answer is that the oxidation of hop oils and volatilization of aromatic compounds relies on contact with oxygen and temperature.  The hop storage index for hops is measured storing the hops at 20C (68F) in a closed container (note: not sealed nor under vacuum).  When you change these factors (vacuum seal in bags that resist Oxygen permeation, stored under cold conditions) then you prolong the shelf life of the hops.  I have had vacuum sealed hops in my freezer for several years with only a slight drop in potency of either bitterness or aroma.

Edit:  Can't spell well this morning...

I have vacuum sealed pellet and whole leaf hops that are 2 years old that I still use. I did throw out one bag of leaf hops I had to toss because it had turned brown but that was because I didn't seal it properly. Which is a good tip to pass along... if you use a vacuum sealer at home make sure the bag is clean and free of all debris where the seal is being made.

Back