• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Grain absorption in BeerSmith 3 mobile???

DildoShwagon

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello I am trying to figure out what Grain absorption to use for BIAB in BeerSmith 3 mobile? See I brew using the Brewer?s Edge Mash&Boil unit see with that system has a stainless steel grain  basket so that makes it hard to  squeeze like one would do if they are using a bag. So what should I set my BIAB absorption too in BeerSmith 3???

Are you doing a no sparge mash or are you planning on running a sparge step?  BeerSmith treats a BIAB set up strictly to mean no sparge. 

If you are planning a sparge step then I would start with the default grain absorption figures until you have the numbers to fine tune the figures to match your actual values.

If you are doing a no sparge mash and using a BIAB mash profile, then set your grain absorption to the default for the standard mash (0.96 fl oz/oz) until you get the actual results.  Worst case scenario in both cases is that you will end up with a bit more wort in the kettle and you can make adjustments from there if needed.

You find can out what your grain absorption is by measuring how much water goes into the mash and then measuring how much wort you get after the grains are removed.

Back