• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sour Beer question about boil-off and pH

DeutschesBier

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm attempting a Berliner Weisse style beer where I'll sour the wort pre-boil. Keeping oxygen out of the wort during the souring process of a few days is important to keep bad flavors from showing up. To do this I plan on making enough wort to completely fill a 5 gal carboy to the brim. This will be 5.59 gallons. I'm then doing a 90 minute boil to get rid of DMS. I calculate that I should end up with a loss, due to boiling evaporation, of 2.25 gallons. My question is, if I add 2.25 gallons of water back to the wort after it's been boiled for 90 minutes, will that affect the pH (sourness/tartness) of the wort?

If the evaporation and then adding of lost water back will affect the sourness, I suppose I could make enough wort to allow for the boil-off and just sour them in 2 buckets with plastic wrap on the surfaces to eliminate headspace/ O2. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

the boil removes water, and water only. therefore adding water back shouldn't change anything, other than adding potential contaminants in the water.

I think your best option would be to add the water pre-boil assuming you have the kettle space.

With the improvements in malt consistency and modification, the need for a long boil to remove the precursor to DMS is greatly reduced.  Anecdotal reports are that a 15 minute boil is all that may be needed to reduce DMS to below detectable levels.  Unless you are using a low modified pilsner malt, such as a floor malted version (and even then it is debatable), a long boil is not needed.

Thank you , gentlemen. I'll rewrite the recipe with a shorter boil and I'll add my evaporation water pre-boil. Thanks!

Back