• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Final Batch Size : Fermenter vs Keg

squirrelcop

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of recipes from one of my favorite local craft breweries that I would like to enter into my BeerSmith for future attempts at making.  I know from previous forum posts that when entering a 5 gallon ?batch? size into BeerSmith it is calculating for a 5 gallon amount to go into the fermenter. Well I confirmed with the brewery that the way they look at it is the 5 gallons as the final keg volume.  What is the best (easiest ) trick to make this adjustment using BeerSmith so I end up with 5 gallons going into the keg?  Should I enter the recipe and then scale it afterward to make a 6 gallon batch or something different ??  I tried one batch last week and ended up about a gallon short by the time I kegged and realized my issue.  Thanks for the advice.

First figure out how much trub you normally leave behind.  To be safe round this up a bit.  So for instance if you leave 0.4 gallons behind, plan on leaving 0.5 gallons behind as a safety factor.  Now enter this in as your bottling/fermentation loss and increase your batch size so that your estimated bottling volume is 5 gallons.

I generally go off my into fermenter volume as my bottling volume out of my fermenter often changes. I've got a heavily dry hopped beer that I lose about 10% volume on, and I've got some beers I only lose maybe 2% volume on.

It sounds like if your previous attempt ended about a gallon short, I would up the batch size by a gallon ;)

If you work through your equipment profile it will show you what your bottling (or kegging) volume will be. Provided you have measured all of your volume losses and created an accurate profile.

Back