• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

making edits and printing on BS3

DianaGiandinoto

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am a fairly new brewer and in my last brew I made the mistake of sparging with too little water.  This time I used much more...I used 6 gallons of sparge water and unfortunately this equated to a very low Original Gravity.  (live and learn) Currently in my fermenter is 7 gls of wort that has an OG of 1.040.  I think this is due to the fact I used too much water during sparge and maybe my temp was too low during the mash. 

I am trying to edit my OG on the app, however when I do this it keeps changing my grain and other ingredient quantities.  I have tried several times.  Also idk how to change what the batch volume is, as it'll be more like 6gal, not 5gal.

Anyone know how I can make these adjustments without adjusting the ingredient quantities?

Also i get confused on brew day on what my temps should be when looking at the app, i have been trying to figure out how to pull up my own recipes on the website so that I can print and have it easier to read on brew day.  I can't find a way to do this.

The gravity on the design page is an estimate based on the ingredients along with your equipment and mash profiles. To change the Estimated OG without changing any of the above, just change the BH Efficiency that's displayed just above the ingredients.
If this is a recipe you might brew again, I'd leave it as it is and instead enter the real OG and FG for reference and note your mistakes.

Under the ingredients pane of your recipe is a box marked. "Select Fields". Click on it and then select OG and FG if they aren't already being displayed just below and to the right of the box. Enter your actual readings for these parameters and they will be saved with the recipe.

Further to what Bob357 posted, if you enter your measured data into the 'session' tab in your recipe BeerSmith will calculate your actual brew house efficiency based upon the actual results.  You can use this number to adjust your equipment profile.  As was recommended above, making a couple of brews before updating your profiles for future brews would be advisable so that you are not responding to unusual brew day data.

Thank you both, i feel silly but I don't see the "select fields" area.  This is a copy of my prior recipe so I want to notate the OG so i have it as reference for next time. I will keep my first and original recipe the same.

The only place that I see where i can change that he gravity in the yellow/blue Gravity bar, right now it says 1.053 SG (not sure what SG means) and I am trying to change to show that my OG is 1.040.  When I change it here is when my quantities of ingredients get messed up.  I will later need to also change the FG upon completion of fermentation.

Maybe I need real training on the app LOL.

SG is specific gravity and can refer to any hydrometer reading.
As for feeling silly, don't. The Select Fields is a box with a puzzle piece in it, located just below the ingredients and just right of center on the design page. It's easy to look too hard and not see :)
Beersmith definitely has a learning curve. I've been using it since version 1.? and still don't know all the tricks. Probably half of what I know, outside of the basics,comes from reading Oginme's responses. BTW, welcome to the BS forum.

DianaGiandinoto said:
I am a fairly new brewer and in my last brew I made the mistake of sparging with too little water.  This time I used much more...I used 6 gallons of sparge water and unfortunately this equated to a very low Original Gravity.  (live and learn) Currently in my fermenter is 7 gls of wort that has an OG of 1.040.  I think this is due to the fact I used too much water during sparge and maybe my temp was too low during the mash. 

If you use either the volume the program asks for, or just stop your sparge once you reach your preboil volume, this won't be an issue. Assuming your equipment profile is accurate.

I am trying to edit my OG on the app, however when I do this it keeps changing my grain and other ingredient quantities.  I have tried several times.  Also idk how to change what the batch volume is, as it'll be more like 6gal, not 5gal.

Anyone know how I can make these adjustments without adjusting the ingredient quantities?

I think you're looking to add to the "session data" tab, this is where you enter the data from your actual brew. It sounds like you're trying to scale the recipe "design" to a different gravity.

Also i get confused on brew day on what my temps should be when looking at the app, i have been trying to figure out how to pull up my own recipes on the website so that I can print and have it easier to read on brew day.  I can't find a way to do this.

I'm not sure where the issue is, sparge temps and mash temps are essentially universally known language for their related terms, I'm also unsure what you mean by pulling up your recipes on the website? what website? you can print the recipes right from beersmith.

As an addition to this, The beersmith website has multiple tutorials on how to use the program. I'd suggest spending an hour or so watching them all. After all, an hour spent learning may save countless hours trying to "fix" or figure something out later.

Back