• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

High gravity low volume

Daytondave

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm an all grain brewer with five years of experience under my belt. Not an expert, but not a newbie either. My volumes and efficiency have been really stable until this summer. For the last three brews (all different types) my OG has been high but my volume low, which is very odd. I have not changed my process at all except for treating my water using the new water adjustment calculators in BeerSmith 3.0, but I don't that this is the cause. This is so frustrating. Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions on how to diagnose the problem?

Use more water ;)

The two issues (high og, low volume) are directly related. you have a high OG because you have a low Volume.

you're either not collecting enough wort for the boil, or boiling off too much. have you got a recipe with accurate session data points you can upload as a .bsmx file?

Other things to consider, is accurate markings on the kettles, and fermentation vessels. I base all my fermentation volumes off weight, and my kettles are all marked with a sight glass I personally calibrated gallon by gallon, I've found this to be up to a half gallon off, based partially on the fact that my system doesn't sit perfectly level, as well as a few other factors.

The data you need to measure and record is essentially in your 'session' tab in BeerSmith.  If you are measuring all of your volumes and gravity readings and entering them on the page, then the majority of the info is already at hand to do the calculations.  I did a walk through of the basic calculations in this thread: http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,14362.msg56361.html#msg56361

Back