• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Is there a way of adjusting the estimation what the FG will be?

jasonclick

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've found that when I create recipe in Beersmith, my FG is always somewhat lower that what beersmith estimated. I just went back and looked at my last 6 brews and the difference between my estimated FG and measured FG is .004-.011. My measured is always lower. It's pretty significant because most of my beers i try to keep around 5% ABV. Is there a way of adjusting what the final gravity would be?

It sounds like there's an issue somewhere in your equipment profile if you're consistently off. I would look into perhaps your mashing profiles, and making sure you're mashing at the right temperature. Can you perhaps provide a few examples of whats happening?

Yes, you can adjust the actual response of mash temperature to fermentability under 'options' > 'advanced'.  You have the choice of changing the response of the FG to temperature or adjusting the center point if you find the response is fine, but consistently offset from the predicted across the whole temperature range.

I would first recommend that you make sure your thermometer(s) are calibrated to freezing water (ice bath) and boiling temperatures (adjusted for altitude) before making the change.

Screenshots aren't terribly helpful. Without knowing some of your recipe parameters and being there for the process its quite hard to determine what the issue is. My assumption is that you're mash temperatures are likely not "right"

If the recipe design has you mash at say 68(154.4), and you mash at 67(152.6), you'll see a difference in the attenuation of the beer, thus resulting in a difference of your FG.

note the differences are less or more at different temp ranges... 60-67 will get you about the same attenuation. (within a few percentage points) but once you start dropping off below 60 or above 67 it gets pretty drastic.

Back