• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bottling from a keg. Carbonation problems.

jeep8589

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have made 3 different batches of beer, and carbonated them in a keg.  They were carbonated about 4 psi higher than recommended.  All three have come out without much of a head, and seemed a little flat.  The funny thing is, that the grolsch bottles pop like a cork when I open them, so they seem to be under a decent amount pressure.  I have bottle carbonated a bunch of beers in the past, and have never had a problem with a decent head or carbonation, which makes me believe that I at least brew the beer properly for it to do what it should.  When I bottle it, I don't get a lot of foaming, so I am not loosing co2 at bottling time.  The beer was in the keg under pressure for a week, so it should have an even co2 level.  It almost seems that there is something going on like residue, but I go out of my way to be clean and sanitary.  Any thoughts?  Like I said though, when I open a bottle, it pops, and then pours flat. 

If you only had the beer in the keg for a week I doubt it was fully carbonated, even at 4 psi above the desired level. When bottling from a keg, the bottles should be cold, the pressure reduced to 4 or 5 psi and they should be filled from the bottom.
Ideally, either a counter pressure filler or other device that keeps the bottle pressurized while filling should be used. Once filled, they should be capped and refrigerates ASAP for best results.

I'm a little confused. Are you kegging your beer and then transferring it to bottles? Or are you just comparing your bottled beer with kegged?
When you are kegging are you carbonating using a tank of CO2 or with priming sugar?

Like BOB357 says a week in the keg might not be enough time. What style is the beer you have in the keg? I have experienced faster or longer carbonation times with different styles. Ingredients too can influence head retention. Maybe you could share details from the recipe along with your carbonation process to shed some light on what might be the cause.

Back