Author Topic: Lost two years of Recipes  (Read 253 times)

Offline Rod Murray

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Lost two years of Recipes
« on: June 04, 2019, 11:24:01 AM »
Opened beersmith this morning and am missing all of my 2018 and 2019 recipes.  I keep my program organized by yearly folders and then each recipe is entered by date so I have a running log of every beer I have brewed since the brewery opened. Professional brewer but I do the same at home.

I have not upgraded to BS3 yet because I was afraid of starting a new program in the middle of a production year...

I have no idea what to do.  I use sync toy to back up my entire "beersmith" folder once a week on an attached USB hard drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and compensated with copious beer if you can come to Gulf Shores, Alabama.

Offline Oginme

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
Re: Lost two years of Recipes
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 11:31:10 AM »
You can restore from the back-ups in BeerSmith following the same steps as Brad outlined for BS3 in his blog at https://beersmith.com/blog/2018/09/14/how-to-back-up-and-recover-data-in-beersmith-3/

BS2 also has this feature and you can click on 'files' > 'recover from backup' and choose the backup file you want to restore.  The program saves the files from the last 5 times it was opened, so if you repeatedly open an close the program, your older backups will be overwritten.
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline Kevin58

• I make beer. Not a style.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 04:39:27 PM »
I make regular backups of all my recipes onto a removable USB drive. It's a good habit to get into.
If you?re stressing over homebrewing, you?re doing something wrong.
- Denny Conn

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 09:31:11 AM »
I replied back to you via email several times - for BeerSmith 2 the most likely cause of the problem is having moved/removed the Documents/BeerSmith2 directory.  Often an antivirus, backup or other program will think the data is old and try to block or archive it.

As others have pointed out, BeerSmith 3 has a much more robust backup system and stores backups in a separate location to try to mitigate this type of issue.

Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here