• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Greetings from Savannah, GA

JandKBoucher

Apprentice
Reaction score
I would like to introduce myself and my wife. My wife Kristen is an Army Veteran, and I retire this December. She is a Dr. of Chiropractic and I am a Maintenance/Logistics Warrant Officer. She is enrolled in Syracuse University in an MBA. I am currently enrolled in a Masters of Entrepreneurship. We have been home-brewing for four years now. I am currently working as an intern at a Brewery in Savannah called Coastal Empire Beer Company paid for by the Army. We hope to finish our Masters programs at about the same time I retire from the Army in hopes of opening our own brewery in the next 18 months. Currently we are Milling, x2 Robobrews (one as mash one as boil followed by ice water recirculation through the two immersion coils simultaneously), followed by using  FastFerments, and Kegging.

Here to sharpen my knowledge (homebrewing and new to BeerSmith program for MacOS), and inquire on how to compete in home-brewing competitions.

My one claim to fame Youtube video: https://youtu.be/tO1K5ioZLX4
https://youtu.be/tO1K5ioZLX4

Well met and thanks to you and your wife for your years of service. 

My parents both graduated from Syracuse way back when slide rules were state of the art. 

Looks like you have a pretty sweet set up for brewing.  My advice for competitions is to find a local club to see what competitions are in your area.  If you are not adverse to mailing entries, the you can check out the competition calendar at bjcp.org for a listing of BJCP registered competitions are registered with them.

Interesting. I often find running yeast in an ambient temp of 68-72 can give me fermentation temps well above 80. I also occasionally use lager yeasts and others that provide better flavors more in the 65 range (or below with lagers).

Back