• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Please, why? Water additions.

CraftyCleric

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Please, why are sparge water treatments lumped in with mash ingredients or boil ingredients? I specifically bought BS3 in hopes of not having separate sheets for Beersmith and Bru'n Water but I guess I have to go back to that. Even if we can't have separate categories for Mash salts and Sparge Salts, why wouldn't it be the Mash salts lumped in with the mash ingredients instead of the sparge salts? Is there some fix for this I am not seeing in the beer report xml?

Welcome to BS3...  The new water calc of BS3 is terrible and they do not respond to emails pointing out the deficiencies.
Brewing a Porter and BS3 had the residual alkalinity far in the negative range. Should have been way positive for a dark beer. Have had noting but issues using BS3 water calcs. They are just wrong and the whole water calc process is not presented well. I have been full grain brewing for many years and use Palmer's spreadsheet. BS3 is nowhere near what I get from Palmer's.
I would not rely on BS3 water calcs!!

Back