• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New to brewing and BeerSmith. Have questions

KennyB

Apprentice
Reaction score
Good morning, new to BeerSmith and brewing. One batch down and want to start another one. I'm trying to learn how to use BeerSmith.  I like a recipe that I found on here, but I wanted to ask how I can open it up and save it. When I go to download it, it tells me I don't have permission to open it. Would you know what I'm doing wrong and if you have any other tips, I would appreciate it.
Modify message

Can you be a bit more specific in where 'here' is?  On the forums or in the BeerSmith recipe cloud?

Sorry, I'm on BeerSmith recipe cloud.  Just wondering how I find a recipe and how I open it up and than how I save it to my profile. Thanks

You need to be signed in to the recipe cloud to download the recipe.  The easiest way to do this is to use BeerSmith to browse the cloud recipes.  In BeerSmith 3, you can click on 'cloud search' on the second toolbar down or you can access it from the drop down menu by clicking on 'recipes' > 'cloud search'.  This will open up a window for you to type in the name of the recipe or search by name/style/type.

When you find the recipe you want, you can double click on the recipe to open it for viewing.  If you want to download the recipe, then you can click on 'save a copy' to have a copy of the recipe downloaded onto your computer.

If you are on the web site, you will need to sign in using your user name and password to download the recipes.  When you sign in, you will see a button to download a copy of the file to your computer which you can then open up in your copy of BeerSmith by clicking on 'file' > 'open file' and then navigate to the directory where the file was stored when you downloaded it.

Note that the recipe cloud on BeerSmith and the forum are two separate features and signing up for one does not mean you have access to the other.

You can find more information on Brad's blogs like this one: http://beersmith.com/blog/2019/01/06/beersmith-cloud-recipe-privacy-and-sharing-explained/

Back