• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast default size

KB

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Apparently, I'm totally brain dead after working all week.

Purchase 80g of yeast and I want to enter the amount in my BeerSmith inventory. However, the yeast inventory is by package. How to change to grams? Or, other measurement amount.

Thanks.

"package" is an arbitrary unit which you can define however you want.  If you want the 'package' to represent grams (as I do with my repitches and propagated yeasts), then set the number of cells in a 'package' to be equivalent to the number of cells in a gram and plow onward.

Thanks, but this is easy to forget. (Back in May I began using grams in the yeast inventory even-though the software indicates package.) I thought there was a way to set the inventory size. Perhaps, I'm thinking of another brewing software?

I can tell at a glance by the number of cells per pack exactly if it is a cells per gram or cells per commercial package.  Since I mostly enter this directly into the recipe after deciding that I will use a culture I have going or a new package of yeast from the LHBS, it only affects the recipe itself.  The number of cells per gram is attained through a cell count, so that is really specific to the recipe, starter, and date when I brewed it.  Still, I can easily see doing the same with a commercial package just to keep things consistent.  Liquid Wyeast has around 100 billion cells and 125 ml of total fluid (and they are pretty good at this since I have used them to check my cell counting ability).  This is roughly equivalent to 100 billion per 125 grams of slurry.  While it has been years since I used dry yeast, it can be done with those packages as well. 

Maybe not as brain dead as I thought. BS3 inventory misc has a dropdown allowing section of the unit.

Why don't all the inventories have a similar dropdown?

I agree, KB, the Yeast Inventory would also benefit from this drop-down option.  As a 'work-around' I've just added my Nottingham Ale Yeast as a Misc item in grams.  This works for me as I buy my yeast in bulk and, at-a-glance, would like to know exactly how much I have left in my inventory. 

Back