• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can you siphon carbonated beer from keg to bottle?

kw642

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I racked 5 gallons of NEIPA to a keg, but now I can't get it to come out of the tap.  I kinda saw this coming as it did turn out very chunky with all the dry hopping etc. - the beer line was jammed before I could even get enough to fill a shooter glass.  Haven't been able to clear the line yet, and even if I do it's going to happen again on the next pour.  I'm new to kegging so forgive me if there's an obvious answer here, but what's the best way to proceed?  It's not going to go through anything less than 3/8" in diameter.  Can you siphon force carbonated beer into bottles without losing adequate carbonation?  Should I let it go flat and bottle condition it?

Cheers

This happened to me the first time I kegged an IPA.  I use swivel nuts on my connectors, so I switched the gas line onto the liquid connector and hit it with a short burst of CO2.  Cleared theline and let the leg settle for a few days before drawing another pint.

If you are set on bottling, the best way would be through the beer line so you are facing the same issue. 

You can siphon the beer out into a bottling bucket, add some priming sugar and bottle from there, but you will be exposing the beer to Oxygen and shorten the shelf life.

ditto, blast some co2 through the liquid line. they make filters that you can install on the dip tube, they seem to be more problems than benefits though.

the other option is to crank the co2 up to 30psi or so and see if you can force it through.

counter pressure filling will run into the same problems, and as oginme stated, racking it off to a bottling bucket is going to add o2 which is going to kill the beer. I find with my IPA's especially NEIPA's that ANY... I mean ANNNNYYYYY o2 really kills the flavor and appearance.

I would suggest if you're going to counter pressure bottle, first blasting co2 through the liquid line, then tilting the keg to a slight angle when bottling should help reduce hop sediment from clogging it up again.

making sure you get a good seperation of hops when racking to kegs eliminates the issue for me though. I use a conical and make sure to NOT get any hop sediment when racking to kegs. you still get that nice hazy look without getting actual hops in the keg.

Good luck!

As an aside.... You cursed me.

I came home to a keg that was stopped up.

Swapped gas and beer, purged with gas, turned it on its side a bit, and viola! pouring beer now :)

I really am thinking of switching over to sankes...

After using CO2 to clear the tube, store the keg at about a 10 to 15 degree angle. After a day, the solids should settle off to the side of the dip tube. You can then serve it or rack under pressure to another keg (dip tube to dip tube).

If you can't hold the keg at an angle, shorten a dip tube by an inch or so. 

Oops.  I should've checked in on this thread before trying my own solution.  Blowing out the tube would've worked, but I'm sure it would've clogged again with the next pour.  There was simply too much chunk on the bottom.  I ended up siphoning the keg into a pail, then siphoning it back through a mesh strainer.  I got sucked into the Raptors game then I had to go pick up my son, so there was loads of unintended oxygen exposure.  I siphoned a few pints during the process and it was pure deliciousness - surprisingly still somewhat cold and carbonated too.  That was almost 2 days ago so after reading your contributions just now I rushed out to the garage and poured a glass.  Looks like I got lucky here because it still tastes yummy.  Maybe a touch less flavour than a few days ago but pours like a dream!

biggest issues you'll have is reduced shelf life and a change in color with o2 exposure.

I've noticed my NEIPA turns from a brilliant orange/yellow/green/gold to a brownish color that looks more like a yeast starter than a beer.

that said, I've eliminated all of MY o2 exposure after the initial oxygenation of the wort going into my fermenter with closed pressure transfers from conical to a purged keg. This has increased my shelf life from 4-6 weeks to upwards of 8-12 weeks with minimal changes to the profile of the beer.

Back